8 Tips for sustainable weight loss
There is no reason to feel guilty because who wouldn’t be tempted by such an approach? So what can you do to lose those sneaky, superfluous pounds that are poisoning your life? Here are some keys to help you!
1- Give up on fancy diets
Some diets do indeed make you lose weight, sometimes even a lot of weight, but at what price? You often expose yourself to the risk of nutritional imbalance (in fiber, minerals, vitamins…) which is harmful to your health: note, for example, that high-protein diets can overwork the kidneys. Not to mention the fact that it requires a lot of willpower, not to mention the psychological, behavioral and environmental components. What a frustration!
And what about morale? It’s no better. It rarely stays high. It looks rather sad.
You know the yo-yo effect by heart, that infernal phenomenon! One diet chases the other but always ends the same way: an inevitable weight gain with a few extra pounds. This is the effect of a restrictive diet. This relapse has inevitable consequences on your daily life. You find yourself in a situation of failure, guilt, low self-esteem… You have to realize that there is no such thing as a miracle diet, otherwise we would know! You must regain control of your body by giving it a healthy and diversified diet. And it is better to accept a few curves rather than trying to reach an unattainable goal; this is an essential condition if you want to stabilize your weight.
To lose weight sustainably, opt for the non-dieting approach by adopting good eating habits that can be observed over the long term. Also, it is essential to be supported in your approach. All of this sprinkled with non frustration.
Also, keep in mind that nothing replaces a consultation with a health professional to establish a nutritional program adapted to your personal situation.
2- Eat a variety of foods and colors
Changing your eating habits will allow you to better control your weight. It is a matter of setting up a balanced, varied and diversified diet to mark a break with your old eating habits but without causing a brutal change because habits are very often well anchored. Take it easy. It is preferable to start by considering adjustments, small simple changes that will lead to others rather than turning everything upside down.
2-1 Here are some simple common sense tips:
* Take the time to eat, to sit down (and not to take your meal on a corner of the table), to appreciate the contents of your plates. Did you know that your brain needs 20 minutes to start receiving the first signals of satiety. In other words, if you eat in 5 minutes, it will not get the information. You won’t be satisfied or full!
* The key word is to optimize the pleasure of tasting (without increasing the quantities consumed); pleasure must remain at the center of your plate, it is very important!
* Eat to your hunger, but without excess. When you have eaten enough, stop even if there is still some left on your plate, even if the contents of your plate are calling your name; do not force yourself to finish your plate. This requires a good knowledge of these signals, I grant you! You need to be full, but only just!
* Focus on satiating foods, with low caloric density, and therefore reduce foods that are too fatty and too sweet;
* Don’t skip meals, have at least one substantial and convenient snack such as a piece of fruit or a yoghurt drink with a slice of wholemeal bread; this way you will avoid the risk of snacking;
* Drink water before eating, you will eat a little less. Water is a natural appetite suppressant;
* Put some color on your plate, it’s good for your morale.
3- Moderate your quantities
First of all, you have to learn to eat everything, yes, everything! Don’t cut out any food, eat like the rest of your family, friends or colleagues. Simply, as overeating is the main cause of weight gain, you will have to pay attention to the quantities ingested without going to extremes by weighing your food.
Detach yourself from the scale! Don’t put extra pressure on yourself.
If you listen to your body, you will manage to appreciate the quantities sufficient to not be deficient and optimize your health.
To help you:
* Trade in your large plates for smaller ones: you’ll put less in them!
* It’s better to start with small portions and refill them if necessary than to start with a full plate;
* You’ve overindulged in extras, the chocolate cake has made your eyes soft. Above all, don’t feel guilty, you should also know how to enjoy the pleasures of food. You can compensate by eating a more frugal meal or by increasing your sports dose!
4- Eat less fat and less sugar
Diets often involve a great deal of frustration with fats and sugary products. It is not a question of eliminating everything but simply curbing your consumption.
Special attention should be paid to the quality of fats:
* Choose a good oil for seasonings, such as rapeseed oil, and remember to vary them;
* For cooking, opt for vegetable oils that resist heat, such as olive oil;
* Do not eliminate fresh raw butter for your morning sandwiches or to garnish cooked vegetables.
Limit fatty foods such as cold cuts, cheeses… but do not switch to skimmed milk.
Don’t forget about sweet products. They are part of a pleasurable diet. Eliminating them is too frustrating. Indulge yourself occasionally but always in moderation! A tip to limit their intake, when you scan food labels, avoid all products whose main ingredient is sugar. That’s already a good point!
5- Be physically active
Physical activity, no matter how little, is essential! Even if it is established that sport does not make you lose weight, it is a considerable help in losing weight, not to mention the benefits on your state of mind. Indeed, while you are doing sport, you don’t think about snacking, it is an excellent diversion to food. Sport motivates you, contributes to your well-being and if you are consistent, maintaining your weight in the long term will be easier.
To stick with it, it is essential to choose an activity that suits you and not one that is imposed on you. This could be walking, swimming, climbing stairs or even gardening. Ideally, vary the activities. And do them with a smile!
Remember: the diet you choose must not only respect your nutritional needs, but it must also be personalized, adapted to your desires, to your food tastes, to your life rhythm… because you are unique. We must convince you of this.
This advice is the cornerstone of success.
6- Remember to hydrate regularly
Water is essential to our body, as it is our main component (65%). It is therefore recommended to drink at least 1.5 liters of water to allow the body to recover the water used up during the day.
If it does not make you lose weight, it helps to keep your figure durably because it helps to drain metabolic waste and toxins, which notably prevents the formation of cellulite.
Drinking water limits snacking: when you feel hungry, drinking a large glass of water helps you to hold out until the next meal. It gives a feeling of a full stomach and causes an appetite suppressant sensation.
7- Do not skip meals
Skipping meals does not make you lose weight, quite the contrary. If you do lose weight, it will only be temporary and will cause your body to store more food. In addition, if this eating behavior is repeated regularly, it can lead to an increased risk of heart disease and the development of type 2 diabetes.
Skipping breakfast can lead to cravings and snacking in the afternoon as the body seeks to fill the food gap. The calories consumed at the end of the day are just as many, if not more, because the foods eaten during snacking are high in sugar and fat.
If you don’t have time to eat, plan balanced snacks for the afternoon such as fresh fruit, wholemeal bread, plain dairy products, dried fruit or crudités.
8- Know how to enjoy yourself
Eating without pleasure generates frustration in the long run, which is why draconian diets often fail.
In order to lose weight sustainably, you have to be able to eat foods that you like and that give you pleasure. Whether you like sweet or salty foods, whether it’s chocolate or potato chips, it’s not a matter of eliminating these foods from your diet completely.
No food should be forbidden, on the other hand, foods rich in sugar and fat should be limited and not systematic, they should remain in the pleasure dimension.